We will gladly print your thesis on our colour printer. For that, you only need to send us the .pdf file of your thesis via the submission form. The price is calculated individually for every thesis and depends on the number of pages, among other things. You can find more information on how the price is calculated below.
In our submission form you will find the following points we need you to elaborate on so we can print your thesis exactly as you want it:
- Number of copies: The required number of copies of your thesis.
- Single-sided or double-sided print: In the case of single-sided printing, the content of your thesis is printed on only the front page of each sheet. This means that every page in your .pdf file correponds to one sheet of paper. When doing double-sided printing, both pages of a sheet have content printed on them. In your .pdf file, odd-numbered pages will be printed on the front of the sheet, and even-numbered pages on the back.
- Spine labelling: The spine labelling is printed onto the spine, i.e. the part of the book that is visible when it is placed on the shelf. The standard labelling consists of your name (on the bottom), the title of the thesis (in the middle) and the year (on top).
- Name: Your name as it will be printed onto the spine.
- Title: The title of the thesis as it will appear on the spine.
- Cover sheet: The type of paper that envelops your printed thesis. Normally, we use transparent film for the front and black carton for the back. If your chair requires you to use a certain cover colour, or you simply want your thesis to have a differently coloured cover, we will gladly take your wishes into account. Please note that use of the so-called "LNT blue" cover is only permitted if you write your thesis at the institute for communications engineering.
- Thesis bound for pickup: Please let us know if we can already bind your thesis or if there are pages (such as task description pages provided by your chair) that have to be inserted first.
- Invoice: If you need an invoice, or if you wish your thesis to be sended to your chair, please provide information about the recipient and his address. Otherwise a "no invoice needed" is sufficient.
- Phone number: Only needed for short inquiries in case there are issues with your thesis.
- Deadline: The date by which you have to submit your thesis. Please bear in mind that we need 1 to 2 workdays to print and bind your thesis and that at least one faculty student council member needs to be present at the office for you to pick it up.
- Pick up: Please choose, if you want to pick up your thesis yourself (possible from July 19th, 2021), or if you want it to be sended to you or your chair. You can find further information here.
Please don't forget to include a .pdf file of your thesis in your mail. If it is too large, you can upload it to a web space (e.g. the LRZ Sync+Share) and send us a download link instead.
We do not accept USB drives!
You can find the link to the submission form here! We will send you a mail once your printing job is ready for pickup.
Please read our information concerning thesis printing before sending your documents. We do not assume liability for misprints caused by inobservance of our guidelines!
Spine labelling: We can print text onto the spine if the thesis has a thickness of 3mm or more. This corresponds to a thesis of 30 pages (for single-sided printing) or 60 pages (for double-sided printing). If your thesis has less content than that, we will not label the spine.
Please include your full name and the title of your thesis in your mail; it will be printed exactly as you send it. We assume no responsibility for typos in your mail that get printed onto the thesis.
Type of print: Depending on the type of print job (single-sided or double-sided) there are different things that need to be taken into account. When doing single-sided printing, you should avoid having empty pages in your document, as that would result in an empty sheet in your thesis. On the other hand, if you are printing on both sides and want one page to stay empty, you'll need to include it in your document in advance.
If your page numbering is not centered on each page, you should pay attention that the page numbers are aligned properly. An odd-numbered page number corresponds to the front page on a printed sheet, so the page number should be on the right (and vice versa).
Layout: Our printer cannot do marginless printing. Therefore, make sure that there is enough space between the content and the page margins (at least 5mm, we recommend 10mm). On the page border where the binding is applied to, i.e. the inner side of each page, you should leave a security margin of at least 20mm.
Images and diagrams: Generally, your images should have a resolution of 300 dpi so they won't be pixelised when they are printed. The upper bound for resolution is fixed by the printer, whose highest resolution is at 600 dpi. Therefore, we do not recommend to export images in higher resolution than that - in the best case, you just won't see the difference, in the worst case, our printer driver won't be able to process the image. The same applies to Tikz graphs with too many sample points.
Data format: We only print unprotected .pdf files. Ideally, they should comply with the PDF/X-3:2002 standard, but the most important requirement is that all fonts are embedded in the document.
We do not accept Word documents (.doc/.docx) or LaTex files (.tex)!
Due to the current situation, we want to provide two possibilities for you to pick up your thesis.
Delivery to your chair: We can send your thesis directly to your chair. Please talk to your supervisor in this case and ask him if this is possible and how many copies are needed at your chair. If your chair doesn't pay for your thesis, we will send you an invoice. You can pay the final amount using bank transfer. Furthermore you can ship your thesis to every location in germany.
Type of shipment Price Required information Shipping to your chair 1€ Name of your supervisor, chair / invoice recipient Shipping within germany 6€ shipping address / invoice recipient
Pick up at our office: Beginning at Juli 19th, 2021, every monday and tuesday from 1pm to 3pm at the ground floor of N4 building. Your arrival has to be announced by phone at 089/289-22998. Please do always keep the minimum safety distance to other people (2 metres) and cover your mouth and nose using an FFP-2 facemask (even at outdoor grounds)!Do you have still any questions left? Write us a mail!
Many students would like to have as much time as possible to work on their thesis and have it printed on the day of the deadline directly. Since we propose the thesis printing service for about 3000 students and do all printing in our free time, we cannot guarantee that we will have the time to accomodate your wishes.
As a rule of thumb, we need about 1 to 2 workdays to print a thesis, during exam phase even 3 to 4 workdays.
If you notice that you are short on time, write us a mail and we'll see what we can do. You can also give us a call in extreme emergency cases.
This depends strongly on the number of copies you have, but a general estimation is around 10 minutes. After the binding, the thesis should cool off for 10 more minutes so no pages slip out during transport.
We recommend you leave the bound thesis rest for 30 minutes before opening it. If possible, wait until the spine has completely cooled down.
The price for printing copies of your thesis depends on many factors such as the number of copies, the number of coloured pages, etc. For this reason, it is hard to give a general estimate for a price.
However, since our printing service is financially supported by study grants, we can propose attractive prices for Electrical and Computer Engineering students.
Of course we can also print in colour. As soon as a page has coloured content, it is automatically printed in colour. Keep in mind that coloured pages are more expensive to print than black/white pages, but we recommend printing images and diagrams in colour.
The price for a colour page is independent of the quantity of ink used, so we advise you not to include small coloured element on every page (e.g. the TUM logo or coloured page numebers) as that would increase the cost per copy greatly.
Sometimes, pages are considered as coloured even though they do not look the part. In most of these cases, the cause is a black-and-white image that has been compressed with JPG, or the used colour scheme is colour-based grey (and not pure greyscale).
Mondi Color Copy, 100g/m², multi-coated
The paper is slightly heavier than ordinary copy paper, and the coating gives it a classy feel.
Apart from the standard cover (transparent foil/black carton) we also have a large selection of coloured carton covers to choose from. You're free to drop by our printing office to have a look at them in person anytime. Here is a list of the colours we currently have in our assortment:
- White (250g/m²)
- White (160g/m²)
- Chamois (170g/m²)
- Lemon yellow (170g/m²)
- Canary yellow (170g/m²)
- Old gold (170g/m²)
- Maize (170g/m²)
- Apricot (170g/m²)
- Inca blue (170g/m²)
- Terra cotta (170g/m²)
- Brick red (170g/m²)
- Raspberry (170g/m²)
- Cadmium (170g/m²)
- Blue (170g/m²)
- Azure (170g/m²)
- Cobalt blue (170g/m²)
- Arctic blue (170g/m²)
- Lavender (170g/m²)
- Green (170g/m²)
- Pea green (170g/m²)
- Grass green (170g/m²)
- Grey (170g/m²)
- Silver grey (170g/m²)
- Slate grey (170g/m²)
We accept only cash or bank transfer. If you want to pay by transfer, we have to send you an invoice, so you would need to indicate the invoice recipient and an address in your mail.
We do not accept debit or credit cards!
A notebook bag is excellent for transporting the finished thesis papers. They will remain safe from rain, dog-ears and won't wrinkle.
Alternatively, we can provide a paper bag.
We propose our services primarily for Electrical and Computer Engineering students. However, if we have the time and resources, we can print external theses, such as dissertations or theses of students from other faculties. Even so, please understand that Electrical and Computer Engineering theses will have priority.